Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Book Club

Ok so I finally got around to doing something "social" to meet people in Brissy (apart from WYD stuff). A while ago I found this northern suburbs book club on the internet, so after I got back from WYD I emailed the group about joining. The group meets on the last Tuesday of every month at a restaurant in the northern suburbs area. Each month a person in the group is assigned with picking the book and the restaurant for the next month. However in July I ended up being off work sick on the day of the meeting and I also hadn't read the book as my hold hadn't become available at the library. So I didn't go to the July meeting. So in the end last night was my first meeting.

The book for the month was quite interesting. Definitely not something any of us would have picked up in the bookshop ourselves. However, once I got used to the writing style (no speech punctuation, often short paragraps etc) I really enjoyed the book and am very glad I read it. It was one of those books where you're not sure at the start, but by the end of the book you're really glad you stuck it through. It's definitely one to be read slowly! Reading the last page won't make you understand the point of the book - the "journey" of reading the full story is the "reward".

It is called "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. A plot summary can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road - but it does spoil the plot so only read it if you're not interested in the book. I definitely recommend it :-) If you do I would love to know what you thought of it too :-) So feel free to email me your "review" :-)

Next months book is The Lovely Bones which of course Peter Jackson is making into a movie. So I am very excited to read it. You'll have to wait for my summary on it though.

No comments: