Sunday, November 11, 2007

banning fireworks!

I was just reading an entry on my friends Teresa's blog about fireworks (blog entry) that I agreed with so much that I had to write about it on my blog too.

Teresa - I totally agree with you. I love watching fireworks - although I've always been a little too chicken to enjoy burning them myself. But I totally support a ban on public sales! Why - because of those few morons out there who ruin it for everyone - some may be young and not realise the consequences of their actions - but many others do know and still do it anyway.
Years of being traumatised reading stories in the paper about people hurting animals, hurting other people and burning down building/bush etc on the few nights around guy fawkes have led me to believe that they should definitely be banned from public sale!

Now the interesting thing is that Paul doesn't agree with me. He was extremely gutted last week to discover that guy fawkes just doesn't exist here in Brisbane - people look at you strangely if you talk about guy fawkes night (well, more strangely than normal anyway ;-) ). So instead we had to rush home from work to watch the coverage of the wellington display on the met service website (yay for the met service). But why it's ok for Paul to like lighting fireworks is that he's "responsible" with them. But there are enough out there who aren't responsible that it's just not worth the risk.

Anyway - rant over. Got to go and get ready to go to the soccer - yay :-)

No comments: