Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sunday bike ride :-)



This morning Paul and I decided to go for another bike ride. So we cycled up the road to mass and then went out. It was the first sunny day since Saturday last weekend - so we were definitely enjoying things. It was amazing to see big puddles and to see how green the grass had become. But we did have a lot a rain - especially considering it's officially the "dry season". I'm not sure if you heard but they had massive flooding up around Noosa etc. I could be wrong but in a 24 hour period I think they had more than 800mm of rain. And then the next night they had another 200+mm. If only that's where the catchments areas for the dams were aye :-\ But they reckon that by the time all the run off makes it to the dams that they might go up to as high as 20% full! So that's fantastic. I think last time I looked, prior to the rain, they were are about 16.7% So that puts about another 3 months supply into the dams - yay :-)

But back to the bike ride. It was really cute - we went by this really huge (very fun looking) kids playground area, that was quite close to the shopping centre. They had this very cool area set up that's obviously designed to teach kids how to ride a bike and what all the road signs mean. It had road markings, give way signs, stop signs, a one way street and even a roundabout! If I was a kid then I would have found that so much fun. Hmmm .... hang on .... I found it lots of fun anyway. Whoops - Paul snapped a photo of me on it - te he :-)

But that was after I had been freaked out by swooping magpies, so I needed to be cheered up ;-) Seriously!! A magpie was getting very territorial and flew right into my helmet one time and then missed me by about a millimeter a couple of other times. Fortunately Paul was riding right behind me so gave me a couple of seconds warning it was going to happen. Poor city girl Ange had never had this happen before so didn't enjoy it very much :-)

Another thing that we find quite cool is that you get heaps of wild cockatiel's flying around. Actually there are heaps of bright coloured birds flying around - the types of birds you'd only see in bird shop back in NZ. On the flip side the birds over here don't have a very nice call - it's much more pleasant in NZ. I remember when Paul and I went to the Karori wildlife sanctuary - that was awesome.

1 comment:

Trees said...

Yah!! Cycling:) We spent like half our time in Rarotonga cycling and it was SO FUN! I wish I could cycle in Wellington but the hills and the motorists are not too forgiving:P