Friday, March 6, 2009

A while coming

Ok - so for the past month I have kept thinking I should update my blog, but I always put it off for a couple of reasons. Apart from just being lazy, I couldn't get any photos off my camera (we've somehow deleted the software off the computer that allows it to recognise my camera as a drive - that's still not fixed either) plus I wanted to have good news to put up on it. I.e. I wanted to be able to say something like 'Yay, I signed the paperwork for a new job today". However yesterday made me realise that if I wait for that then I will never update my blog *sigh*.

So on my last day at IP I was sortof offered a new job. In Australia your word isn't law, so you don't legally have an offer until it is in writing. But Ange was all hopefully and happy with that job offer, until yesterday morning. I emailed my contact on Wednesday to follow up progress on getting the job offer signed off (State Govt so it takes a while). I got a call yesterday morning stating that the offer was stalled on the managing directors desk along with a bunch of other ones. Sounds like a lot of explaining is having to be done as they must be short of money *sigh*. So although I haven't been turned down yet, they have no idea when any progress will be made. So I could be waiting for ages really :-( This is not helped by the fact that the state elections were called about the time they said they wanted to hire me. Stink! So pretty much everything goes into holding pattern until after the elections.

So yesterday was a pretty bad day - I was fairly gutted as I'm sure you can understand. For the first time in my life I am unemployed (excluding the 3 weeks after I quit my job in NZ, moved to Aussie and got a job here). It's such an awful feeling! Fortunately Paul's income is enough to keep us above water else things would be pretty awful indeed. And it definitely does not help knowing that so many others are in either the same or worse positions. To me that just shows how much competition there is for jobs at the moment!

Actually my little grumble for this entry (it wouldn't be a blog entry without a grumble would it) is about employers who are taking advantage of the current climate of fear. Everyone is so worried about losing their jobs at the moment and so many companies are using that. I seriously don't understand how a company thinks that having terrified employees is going to benefit them. It's quite sick really! I don't know what it's like in NZ, but over here there are so many stories about CEO's and management getting big fat pay rises while at the same time sacking large numbers of employees. How on earth can they sleep at night! It really makes me sick! I guess that's why I'm a Labour voter and will never be a National voter (may John Key's term be a short one!!). I think the measure of a person is how they help those less fortunate than themselves!

Anyway - this has been a big long rant really. I bet you're all glad that I haven't updated my blog more now ;-) ha ha :-) I have too much time on my hands to think.

No comments: